Do you suffer from migraine, high blood pressure, or feeling stress and easily triggered?
Building a laughing habit might not be easy at first but once you know the science behind it, you’ll know that a regular laughter exercise will improve your overall health and even makes you more charming!
Here are 3 simple reasons why laughing benefits you:
1. It reduces stress. In today’s society stress seems to be everywhere, affecting almost everyone. Whether you’re a student, parent, self-employed, or working for someone, there’s challenges everyday, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do anything to release the tension. Take a few mins away from work, you can change the mood by having a good laugh, because laughing lowers the levels of cortisol in our bloodstream, commonly known as the stress hormone. Less cortisol = less stress.
2. It’s good for the heart. Did you know that when we laugh our blood vessels dilate? As they open wider, blood flows much more easily through our veins transporting the much needed oxygen around the body, and our blood pressure lowers. This means that our heart doesn’t have to work so hard.
Some experts believe that laughter has the power to heal, because when we laugh, our bodies releases hormones that increase our overall happiness. Dopamine improves our mood, adrenaline makes us more alert and receptive, and serotonin is a calming, pain-relieving endorphin.
“Everytime when I’ve a migraine, I’ll laugh continuously for 5 mins, and then I feel the tension in my head slowly disappear.”
3. Burn calories and aids digestion. Have you ever laughed so much that your stomach muscles literally ached? Your abdomen gets a workout, contracting as you laugh. Due to the large number of muscles in the abdominal area, laughter increases the production of gastric juices, which also helps the digestive process.
A 2014 study in the International Journal of Obesity found that laughter can burn calories, although the calories burn may not be as high as a cardio workout, but it’s good for those who can’t afford time to go to the gym.
Hacks to bring more laughter into your life:
- Watch a comedy, or listen to your favourite comedian.
- Spend more time with people who have great humour.
- Practice laughter yoga, there’s so many videos you can find on Youtube.
- Don’t be so serious, your life is your playground – The ability to laugh at yourself loosen up the need to be perfect, and it helps relieve your own stress. Share a funny story with a friend or your loved one today, have a good laugh and spread the good vibes!
Soul Happy People